Friday, April 16, 2010

To Gluten or Not To Gluten, That is The Question

My tummy problems have continued to abound.  My Internist finally convinced me I needed to visit with the GI doctor as my internist was at a loss for what to do next.  He was out of ideas.  So yesterday I took myself to the GI doc.  He listened to all my symptoms and history.  He noticed I have lost 7 lbs in just over 2 weeks (not a bad side effect).  He did a physical exam.  During the exam he started pushing on my abdomen and I was shocked by how much it hurt.  Once all that was done, he let me know his two ideas for what could be ailing me: gall bladder inflammation and/or stones and celiac disease.  I was shocked.  Celiac disease was not on my radar screen prior to his declaration. 

My favorite foods are wheat based: cake, cookies, bread, scones, donuts, etc.  I know these are not the healthiest foods, but I love them.  If it turns out I do have celiac disease, I will be forbidden from eating them.  There are ways to make these foods with alternative flours.  I will just have to get used to the new flavors and textures. 

I have the tests to determine what is going on next Thursday.  I pray I will be accepting of the test results.  I want to have a good attitude.  I want to give myself a break and allow myself to be sad, if that is how I feel.  So please keep me in your prayers.  Pray for health and answers.  Pray for peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment