Thursday, April 29, 2010

Book Review Time!

I read a wonderful book last week: The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.  This is a story about a white indentured servant named Lavinia.  She is orphaned on a transcontinental journey from Ireland.  The ship's captain takes her in and she lives with the black slaves on his plantation in Virginia.  As Lavinia grows up she is surrounded by heartbreak, pain, fear and abuse. 

Each character is beautifully developed.  The author created incredible strength and bitter weaknesses within each character.  While I could not personally relate to the issues presented, since the novel takes place in the late 1800s, I appreciated the way each character responded to the difficult circumstances presented in the story.  They respond genuinely to the heartbreak and abuse rained on them.   

The story is masterfully crafted.  The plot is not contrived or unbelievable.  I laughed, I cried, I got angry.  I am certain I could not do the story justice, no matter how I praise it.  Please know I truly loved this novel and I plan to read it again in the future.  It was simply wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment