Monday, April 12, 2010

Book Review Time!

As promised, I am trying to catch up on my book reviews.  Today I am reviewing The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker.  This is the story of a woman who was born a giant.  Truly was a huge baby and she continued to grow into a huge woman.  She did not fit into any societal norms.  Growing up Truly struggles with being different.  She is essentially the town's sideshow.  The journey her life takes is unexpected and interesting.  Her character development is thorough.  I found myself rooting for her and hoping good things would come her way. 

The story shows how society treats those who are not outwardly beautiful in any way.  It also explores how inward and outward beauty can be totally unrelated.  People's treatment of Truly reminded me of high school.  I was lucky in high school.  I was neither cool nor nerdy.  I had plenty of friends.  However, there was the crowd of beautiful people who loved to ridicule those less physically attractive.  Even as a teenager I knew that those who are very attractive, or at least think they are, tend to be less kind.  This novel is full of 'mean girls' who make Truly's life difficult. 

The story also had a bit of a mystery surrounding it.  All in all it was a delightful read.  It was well-written and well developed.  It is one of those books that makes me not want to read lesser literature again.  It was a true joy to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment