Monday, April 26, 2010

Book Review Time!

I have been busy reading lately.  I have had lots of time in the last month where all I could do was lay down to try to escape my pain.  During that time I read an amazing book, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.  This is Verghese's first novel but not his first literary endeavor.  He has also written a couple of memoirs.  Let me tell you, I am wanting to go read those memoirs right now.  He is an amazing writer who can use words to convey difficult concepts simply and concisely.  One example I highlighted, "The key to your happiness is to own your slippers, own who you are, own how you look, own your family, own the talents you have, and own the ones you don't.  If you keep saying your slippers aren't yours, then you'll die searching, you'll die bitter, always feeling you were promised more."  As I wrote, he has a way with words.

The basic story follows the main character, Marion, from birth to adulthood.  His is a story of abandonment, heartbreak, anger and sadness.  He is richly drawn in a way that allows you feel you truly understand him.  You may not always agree with him or like him, but you understand him.  His character was not the only well developed one. I felt that all the characters were described beautifully and thoroughly.

The story has an element of mystery.  There are some parts of the plot you must wait until the author allows them to unfold naturally.  No part of the story felt forced or unbelievable.  In many ways this is historical fiction.  However, the author does not feel confined by actual history in all situations.  There is a coup that is based on an actual event, however the timeline is vastly different from history.  Thus, this is not a book to read to learn about the history of Ethiopia.  However, it is an amazing story and a fabulous book.  I highly, highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment