Monday, October 26, 2009

Distance

This weekend we visited an amazing little farm, Dewberry Farm. It had plenty for the girls to enjoy. Sweet Pea could barely contain her excitement. She was running from the hay mountain, to the giant slide, then over to the fort. It was difficult to keep her close. She kept running off to the next activity. Panda Girl was not any better. She is just slower at this age, thus easy to keep in your sights.

Let's face it, physically losing your child is The Nightmare. I also fear losing them emotionally. Right now it is easy to stay connected. Panda Girl barely leaves my side. She is my little shadow. Sweet Pea's physical ties to me are already becoming looser. She does not miss me while at preschool. She happily runs into class without so much as a backward glance. However, it is easy to see how needed I am to her. When she is upset, she wants a hug. From me. I know the day will come when she will no longer want a hug from me. She will say that I have to tell her she is wonderful, just because I am her mom. She won't understand that she is a truly amazing person.

While chasing her around the farm is physically exhausting, creating the right emotional balance as she grows will be daunting. When the time comes that she is starting to place some emotional distance between us, I pray that we will find a healthy balance. She is supposed to grow up and become more independent. Independence is a great thing. However, I also know that we will always need the wise counsel of our parents. I pray she will turn to me when necessary. I would hate to lose her.

No comments:

Post a Comment