Monday, November 2, 2009

Book Review Time!

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Thus, when Her Fearful Symmetry came out, I had high expectations. She sets this novel in London, mostly Highgate Cemetery. This particular cemetery has the remains of many famous people, including Karl Marx. Elspeth Noblin dies of cancer at age 44 to start out the story. While you may expect that to be the end of Elspeth, it most certainly is not the demise of her soul. She leaves her estate to her nieces, twins Julia and Valentina. Thus begins a creative and original tale.

This story is certainly fantasy. If suspending disbelief is a concept you dislike, this is not the book for you. I found it easy to lose myself in this intriguing story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. While it is certainly not believable, it made me think. It was well written and was full of wonderfully flawed, well-developed characters.

As the climax loomed, I could not put the book down. I had to know for sure what was going to happen next. I had an idea, as there is excellent foreshadowing and character development. However, I wasn't sure if there was going to be another twist or not. I won't tell you of the story's twists and turns. To find out those you will have to read it for yourself. I hope you will.

I probably liked The Time Traveler's Wife better than Her Fearful Symmetry. However, this is still a wonderful read that is worth the time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment