Monday, November 23, 2009

Finally, another book review!

I have finished two books since I past wrote a review. Life has been so busy that it has definitely been infringing on the literature I love. So, today I am going to review A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Overall, I enjoyed this classic novel. This coming-of-age novel was originally written as a memoir. However, the publisher decided it would sell better if it was fictionalized into a novel. I have a feeling that was a good decision. The story is set in Brooklyn, New York in the early 20th century. Francie is a second generation American with Irish and Austrian roots. Francie's father, Johnny, was Irish and "had a hankering after immortality which made him a useless dreamer." Francie's mother, Katie, was Austrian and "had a fierce desire for survival which made her a fighter." Much of the story results from Katie cleaning up Johnny's messes, including his alcoholism. Katie was constantly working and Johnny was constantly drinking.

Francie and her younger brother Neeley are often left to fend for themselves growing up. Francie's best friends were books. She endeavored to read a book a day. Francie's main desire was for school and learning. As Francie grows up she becomes more disillusioned with her life. She realizes the poverty that has marked her childhood. She becomes aware of her father's drinking problem. She witnesses first hand her mother's favoritism toward her brother. Her character unfolds beautifully as she is faced with very adult situations while still a child.

This story made me feel grateful. I have never gone hungry. I have never had to watch my children starve. I have always had access to good education. I was not forced to grow up way too fast. For all of these things, and of course much more, I am feeling thankful. Especially as we approach Thanksgiving on Thursday. I pray you can take some time to think about what makes you grateful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment