Monday, November 9, 2009

Open Door, Messy Floor

Tomorrow I plan to stay home while the girls are at school and get some things done. My house looks like it has been hit by a tornado. I have a couple of gifts I need to get made by Wednesday. I have some overalls I need to get decorated for the little ladies. I'm supposed to take dessert to an event tonight. Anyway, I know my to do list is not interesting for anyone, so thanks for humoring me. Having this much to do makes me feel a bit out of control. Writing it down gives me a little peace.

Let's face it, we do not really have control over what happens in our domains. We can choose to dust, vacuum, do the dishes, etc. We don't get to choose when a baby has allergies and is teething. We don't get to choose when a hurricane hits the gulf and suddenly changes all of Husband's plans for the week. None of these things are important in the grand scheme of life. I will not remember this week several years from now. I will, however, remember the feeling of this season of life. So, instead of feeling overwhelmed, I am choosing to take a deep breath and smile inwardly at the forces that have caused this chaos. The gifts I am making are for new babies. Is there anything sweeter than a new baby? I doubt it. The hurricane forming in the gulf will probably keep Husband home for at least part of this week, and I like Husband. He is really nice to have around.

As I slowly learn to put down my self-imposed pursuit of perfection, I am also learning to appreciate how the best things in life create big messes. Thus, the messes can't be all bad. They are the result of us putting time with our family ahead of the clutter on the floor. While some order is necessary, we are not the military. Thus I am learning to enjoy the flexibility and the ability to say we have an open door, messy floor policy here. So, please stop by and add to the mess. I can honestly say I welcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment