Sunday, August 30, 2009

Book Club Book Review

I met with my book club earlier this week. We don't actually meet as often as we would like to, but we have a good time when we are together. For this meeting we read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. We all loved this book. Everyone found it a sweet read that was, ultimately, heartwarming. The format is different than any other book I have read. The story unfolds through a series of letters exchanged between the characters. This unique medium allows the reader a unique glimpse into each character's thoughts and feelings.

The novel is set just after World War II. It mostly takes place on an island in the English Channel called Guernsey. This island was occupied by the Nazis during the war. The inhabitants were subjected to the whims of their Nazi occupiers. Reading about the abuses rained down on the inhabitants is heartbreaking at times, but it is never too graphic. There is a bit of a mystery surrounding what has happened to one particular character. Thus, this novel has suspense, heart, and humor.

Overall, I highly recommend this novel. I hope you will enjoy it too.

1 comment:

  1. We read this in my book club this month, too. When I say "we" read, I mean "they" read...I'm a little overwhelmed with moving, but I would like to read it when we get settled - sounds good!

    ReplyDelete