Sunday, May 23, 2010

She Smelled of Summer

Husband took the little ladies up to visit his parents this morning.  Those grandparents have a pool and a swing set, so the girls love going to play.  I love having them leave to get some quiet time to myself in my own home.  This week I had been trying to make a nap mat for Panda Girl.  She is growing up and needs one for mother's day out.  Today was my perfect opportunity to finish it up.   I was amazed at how quickly I can complete a project when there are no little hands wanting to help (read: drive me crazy while using a machine I do not have complete confidence in using).  It turned out really cute.  She wanted nothing to do with it, but Sweet Pea has had fun playing school with it all afternoon. 

The girls got home after I had finished (hallelujah) and just in time for their naps.  As I was putting Panda Girl in her crib I took a big whiff of her.  She smelled of summer: that intoxicating mix of sunscreen, sweat and chlorine.  On me it smells awful, but on her it smelled magical.  I hugged her extra close and took one more deep breath.  How I love that smell.

As Gretchen Rubin says in her book, The Happiness Project, the days are long but the years are short.  That hit me hard today.  In the near future I won't have toddlers vying for my attention all the time.  They won't be asking to help constantly.  That amazing smell of summer will be replaced by smelly adolescent stench.  While I truly needed and enjoyed my break today, I am aware that this time in their lives is fleeting.  I am thankful I was able to appreciate my sweet little girls today. 

1 comment:

  1. yes the teenage years. I don't look forward to the moment when I become the coolest person in the room to the dumbest/most annoying person in the room, in their eyes...

    ReplyDelete