Monday, September 7, 2009

Pleasant Surprise

As I have mentioned earlier, Sweet Pea started preschool this year (hallelujah!). When we were walking into the chaos of the first day of school last week, I was very nervous for her. She had met her teachers the previous Friday and had liked them. I just didn't know how she would respond once we got there and I left her.


When we met the teachers we were given a homework assignment. They sent us home with a large green construction paper leaf. We were told to put her family on the leaf and it would be displayed on a large family tree in the classroom. The leaf is due on Tuesday. Friday afternoon we had time, so we tackled the assignment. I was very unsure if Sweet Pea would embrace this assignment or resent having to do school work at home. In preparation for the assignment I had printed out lots of pictures of her family (including the dogs, as they are very important to her). She had a great time choosing the photos she liked best of each of us (grandparents and great-grandmothers included). I cut out the faces of everyone and watched her glue them on the paper. Her enthusiasm was exciting. Once it was finished she was wanting to carry it around with her. I was fearful it would not survive the abuse if Panda Girl go a hold of it. So, I laminated the finished product. That leaf has made the little ladies happy all weekend. They love looking at the pictures and Sweet Pea likes to tell stories about each person.

So often life disappoints us. I have appreciated how Sweet Pea has embraced school. It turns out my worries about the homework and the more arduous schedule were just that, my worries. She was not concerned at all. So, I am enjoying this gift of the unexpected and pleasant surprise. I don't know how long her enthusiasm will last. For now, I refuse to worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment