Monday, September 14, 2009

Book Review Time!

I have been remiss with writing this past week. It isn't because I have nothing to say. Those who know me well understand that it is a rare situation when I am speechless. I have been procrastinating writing a review of The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. One of my favorite books is Ms. Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl (the movie did not do it justice). Thus, I was excited to read her newest novel. However, I was disappointed. Sigh.

The White Queen is a novel that takes place in 15th century England during the war of the roses. The primary character is Elizabeth Woodville. She is a widow with two sons when she meets the King of England. Elizabeth, whose family has always been loyal to the House of Lancaster, marries King Edward IV of the House of York. In the novel, they marry for love and have many children together. These were not easy times in England. Edward had to constantly fight for his crown. Thus, it was a time of untrusted allies, war and murder. The action should have the makings of a great novel. The historical aspects are indeed interesting. However, the novel lacks heart.

Philippa Gregory's other works were made great by the depth of the historical figures she brought to life on the page. I was expecting the characters to jump off the page and come to life before my eyes. I'm not totally sure why that did not happen with this novel. It may be that the project was too ambitious. I don't know that Ms. Gregory could aptly portray a deep character whilst keeping up with all the history contained in the book. I did not find myself either pulling for or despising Elizabeth. Thus, I was disappointed. I wanted to want to read each day. I wanted to care deeply for an interesting and flawed woman. I just never got there with this novel.

This book is supposed to be the first in a series of three novels about the war of the roses. I will probably read the next two. I just hope I enjoy them more than I liked this one.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer! I love many of her other books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, the post above was from me. I'm visiting my brother & my sister-in-law was signed in.

    ReplyDelete