Saturday, September 26, 2009

Elephants

This morning was fascinating. Our zoo had an Elephant Open House. They provided kolaches, coffee and juice for the humans to munch on for breakfast. The morning got started with the elephants showing off their tricks. The tricks ranged from trumpeting to headstands. Evidently an elephant will do anything for an apple. One of the elephants even painted a picture. Next, the elephant barn was opened so we could explore their house. It was so cool. They like to play with toys just like kids. I was amazed at how many of their toys were the same ones that currently litter my family room's floor. Once the elephants had finished their breakfast, it was bath time. Anyone who was interested was invited to grab a brush and scrub down one of the animals. I was amazed at how tough their skin feels. I had to really scrub to get in between some of her huge skin folds. Finally, there was a public weigh in, of Methai anyway. She weighed over eight thousand pounds. We all had so much fun. It was amazing to be so close to such magnificent creatures.

Each of these tasks are performed daily by the elephant keepers. They feed, bathe and exercise the elephants daily. They also clean up the stalls and the yard. Weekly the keepers draw each animal's blood. They also have weekly weigh-ins, blood pressure and pulse readings. The elephants receive better health care than most Americans.

As much care as these animals receive, their population is dwindling. For unknown reasons, fewer elephants are being born into captivity, despite rigorous attempts. Once they are born, a full 70% are dying of the elephant herpes virus. Sadly, the story in the wild is much the same. Thankfully, there were great strides in research this summer to help understand the virus.

Can you imagine a world without elephants? I would be devastated if my grandchildren didn't get the opportunity to enjoy these magnificent creatures. I hope you can help support your local zoo. Go see the animals, have a meal, and buy a souvenir. All those things will help put money in the pockets of people who know how to help.

I know this is an unusual topic for me. I just couldn't help myself. I think elephants are one of God's most amazing creations. Thanks for indulging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment