Friday, September 4, 2009

The Kindle 2

Most people in my life know I have a Kindle 2. The questions I get range from, "What is that?" to "Do you like it?". Today I thought I would let people know what it is along with the pros and cons of the device. Kindle 2 is the ebook reader by Amazon.com. You can only get it online through Amazon. It is pricey, $299. I personally wish it had been cheaper, but decided to buy it anyway.

Now to the technical stuff. It is thinner than a magazine and about the size and shape of a large paperback. The Kindle weighs about as much as a magazine. It is not back lit. Reading off the device is not like reading off a computer screen, it is much easier on the eyes. The controls are in logical places and are easy to use. It even has a screen saver to help extend the battery life. I purchased mine in May. I read a fair bit. I have only had to charge it four times (including the initial charge). It charges quickly and you can read it while it charges. If you keep the wireless on, it will eat up the battery. So, I only turn it on to download books. There are two ways to buy books. You can order books on your computer and just download them later. The other option is turning on the wireless feature and searching for books on the device itself. Both are easy and quick. You do not need to be in a Wifi hotspot. Amazon uses the cell phone lines to transmit books. The company calls it Whispernet. Thus, if you can get a cell phone signal, you can order and download a book. I've heard there is a Kindle app for the I-Phone. Since I don't have an I-Phone, I am not really qualified to discuss it here.

Now, on to the books. The books range in price. If the book is over 50 years old, it is considered to be in the public domain. Books in the public domain are free. Newer books typically range from $6 to $9.99. I like that I don't have to wait for a book to come out in paperback. In most cases new books that would cost over $20 in hardback are $9.99 on the Kindle. Therefore, the Kindle will eventually pay for itself. If you are a book buyer, anyway. There are very few books that are unavailable on Kindle (most notably, Harry Potter). The selection of library e-books is not worth mentioning if you are reading for pleasure, unless you like random text and how to books for pleasure reading. This is the biggest con there is of the Kindle. I'm hoping the library eventually catches up with the technology.

Overall, I am really glad I bought a Kindle. We are not people who are usually on the cutting edge of technology. Our "new" TV is a decade old. We don't spend money on fancy phones. This gadget is one I am glad I invested in early. I truly think this is the way people will read in the future. It is much more environmentally friendly than books too. Think of all the trees you will save if you don't purchase books with hundreds of pages in them. Anyway, I hope this has helped you understand the Kindle. I love it so much that I don't want to read "normal" books anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will add this to my wish list. I had no idea it used cell signal - too cool!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete