Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Plans

This weekend I was fortunate to be able to head to Atlanta to celebrate a sweet friend's thirtieth birthday. Turning thirty is a big milestone, so I was excited to experience it with her. PL is such a special woman. She is intelligent, kind, and fun. She has a huge heart and is genuine with everyone. Her smile is contagious.

PL is in an exciting phase of her life. In the last year she has met the man of her dreams and been promoted at work. She is enjoying planning a future with CK. He is a great match for her. I am thankful she did not settle for anyone less, as anyone else would have been a disappointment. However, when she was growing up, this is not how she pictured her life at thirty.

While trying to get home on Sunday, I was forced to alter my plans. I had truly enjoyed my time in Atlanta, but I was ready to get home to Husband and the Little Ladies. I missed them. I had a bit of a cold and craved my own bed. I missed my Ally and Sophie greeting me each time I entered the room. It was freezing cold and I had not brought my coat. All in all, I was ready to be home. Unfortunately, the weather had other plans for me. There was a huge storm that tracked all the way from the deep south up to New England. It had all the airports on the eastern side of the country tied up. So, my 4:45 flight was delayed until 11. The announcements kept telling us different things until we finally landed on the real answer: they had to cancel the flight. At this point I had been calling the airport home for about 7 hours. After waiting in a lovely line I was told I could not leave until 1, the next afternoon. It sounded like an eternity. I had been remarkably patient (especially for me), but I was devastated.

I think that is what PL has felt in her life up until this year. She was trying to wait patiently for her dream of CK to become her reality. In the meantime she has been very successful. She has an MBA from a prestigious school. She has travelled the world. She has made the most of her time waiting. While I was not able to do much with my airport time, I did get some reading done. It isn't an MBA, but it was nice.

Thankfully my safe flight home came to fruition the next day without any complications. It was smooth sailing the whole way with nary a bump in sight. While I can't promise PL a totally smooth ride with CK, I have faith that it will be a life full of wonderful journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment