Saturday, January 16, 2010

Are you sure Sweet Pea is turning 4?

Today is Sweet Pea's birthday. Four years ago today she entered the world and I have never been the same. My labor with her was complicated. She was eight days late. I had to be induced. After she was born, the NICU team rushed her out of the room to suction her to ensure she didn't get a lung infection from the meconium she passed in utero. Soon the neonatalogist was back in the room telling me how pretty my new baby looked. While that was a sweet compliment, I was much more interested in her health. I was a first time mom and I had not even seen my baby yet. He quickly assured me everything was fine. Finally, Husband walked in holding her. He brought her to me and I was in awe of her.

Bringing her into the world was difficult, painful and amazing. She has taught me more than any teacher ever did in school. She has taught me a new way to love. She inspires me to become a better person so that she can live up to her full potential. She is extremely empathetic. She becomes genuinely concerned when anyone is hurt or upset. She loves other kids. She has a way of quickly befriending sweet little boys who fall for those beautiful browns as she bats her lashes. She is busy. She enjoys anything active. She seems to believe that it is crazy to walk when you can run, since running is much more fun. She loves to laugh and be silly. She adores her baby sister. She gets so excited when Panda Girl is willing to play with her. It is enough to warm this mommy's heart. She is affectionate. She loves to hug us and makes sure we hug her often.

I am starting to see that she is an extraordinary individual. I can see her being a wonderful caretaker someday. I have no idea what she will become as an adult. I am very excited to see. However, I can wait. These last four years have flown by too fast. I am still in denial that she is going to be four (I accidentally bought her a candle that had the number three on it). I just hope she knows that I am proud of her and I love her fiercely.

Happy Birthday Sweet Pea!

No comments:

Post a Comment