Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Awesome Day

Before I was a parent, I had a picture in my mind of how my days would run as a stay at home mom. My girls (I always pictured myself with two girls) would be in pristine coordinating outfits. They would love to sit still and read books. It would be easy to take them anywhere. I would be thin and stylish. My home would be in order. Husband would come home from work and we would feel connected. We would love to go out together, without guilt.

Clearly the reality was a shock. I love the little ladies more than I ever thought possible. That aspect of parenting has been a fantastic surprise. There are days when the girls stay in the pajamas all day because we are not going anywhere that day. While I love my girls just the way they are, they are not wallflowers. Sitting still is not part of their DNA. There are days I have not been able to shower, much less exercise. Husband and I have gone months at a time without getting out just the two of us.

While motherhood has not at all been what I expected, there are so many days filled with joy. A joy that comes from down in your bones. A joy that transcends your mood and situation. Many of those days are special occasions: Christmas, birthdays, Thanksgiving. However, there are some ordinary days that can take your breath away.

Today has been one of those fabulous days. It started with my moms' group. I love going to MOPS. The little ladies play with friends for three hours. I get adult conversation with women who are living through the same life situations. They truly understand my life. These are smart and funny women. I truly enjoy their company. After MOPS the girls and I went to our favorite pizza buffet (don't worry I didn't overindulge). The little ladies had a great time and the food was great. We got home and three deliveries I had been expecting were already at the door. It was nice to realize I didn't have to worry about the doorbell ringing during nap time. Two of the deliveries were Panda Girl's reflux medications and her diapers. Not thrilling, but necessary. The third delivery was my new camera lens. I got a new camera for Christmas. It is awesome. All I needed was a bigger zoom and now I have it. I immediately started using it to capture the little ladies. It is as wonderful as I had hoped. Tonight I am going to the gym to be tortured by Jesus (the Latin fitness instructor, not the Messiah) for an hour. I plan to stay and have a steam and relax. It is going to be so fun to relax on my own.

It has been a wonderful day. While it is not the day I pictured in my fantasies, it has been amazing. I would not change any part of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment