Saturday, September 18, 2010

Unfair

Sweet Pea is learning the idea of fairness these days.  Actually, the concept of unfairness.  Every time I tell her "no" it is met with "Aww, that's not fair".  I think this is an important lesson.  She needs to understand that life is unfair.  Good things don't always happen to good people.  Bad people can go unpunished in our world.  I want her to understand that while little Suzy may be allowed 37 lollipops, as her mom I do not want her teeth to rot.  Thus, it is in her best interest to stick with one.  While Sweet Pea may see this as unfair, as a parent I see this as a matter of health.  Frankly, I don't give a damn (to borrow from one of my favorite books) about what Suzy's mom allows Suzy to do.  It has nothing to do with Sweet Pea.  It has nothing to do with my decisions regarding her and her health. 

Husband's mom is unwell.  I don't really want to go into the details, but she has advanced dementia.  At age 60.  There has never been a situation I have encountered in life that I see as more unfair than this one.  Why should this wife and mother lose her dignity at this young age?   If dementia is horrible in the elderly, it is horrifying for someone this young.  It is difficult for everyone involved.  It would be easy to yell at God and to tell him he is being unfair, and I have.  However, my hope and faith makes me want to believe this is all happening for a reason that is not obvious to me.  Just like Sweet Pea does not understand why I won't allow her to eat in an unhealthy manner, I do not understand why this family is being put through this fire.  It is painful and somewhat frightening (what if this happens to Husband, it is genetic). 

All I know to do is to pray that this serves some higher purpose.  A purpose I do not see since I do not have all the information and understanding that God has and is using in this situation.  I may not understand the why of this situation until I am in heaven.  It may stay one of life's mysteries.  I hope not.  Hopefully I can stay patient and wait on the Lord.  Just like I know Sweet Pea will someday understand why I limited her lollipops, I know someday I will understand this situation clearly.  I will be able to stop thinking about fairness.  However, like Sweet Pea, I am just not there yet. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about hubby's mom! Have you read Still Alice by Lisa Genova? It is about a Psych professor at Harvard who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. It was a good read but it may be too much now considering what your family is going through.

    ReplyDelete