Saturday, December 26, 2009

More than Gifts

The little ladies had a wonderful holiday. Panda Girl received no fewer than six pandas, two of which supposedly make accurate panda sounds. Sweet Pea's favorite items included a tent, a guitar and play horses. I am thankful our girls are lucky enough to receive Christmas presents. However, as a parent the gift receiving is not where I want to place the emphasis. The little ladies need to learn the value of giving. We read books teaching the legends of St. Nicholas and the candy cane. We gave to those less fortunate and talked about how some people do not have homes, food, clothes or toys.

We also want our children to understand the real reason for Christmas. While placing Christmas in December is neither biblical nor factual, it is an important day representing Christ's birth. Until I was a parent I did not fully understand a parent's love. Now that I have the little ladies I have a new appreciation for God's sacrifice. I can't imagine bringing a child into this world knowing he was destined to die so horribly and painfully. Thus, we spent time having a birthday party for Jesus.

I know the little ladies do not fully understand all I have tried to teach them this year. Panda Girl has a long way to go until she can fathom any of this. Sweet Pea is just excited about birthdays. However, I have faith that some day a light will go on inside of them and they will get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment